Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace artificial grass over pavers?

chris97
Getting Established

How to replace artificial grass over pavers?

Hello,

I currently have synthetic/fake grass down in the backyard which unfortunately starts to smell bad as it heats up because of the dog!

I think it is over or at least partially over pavers. I was wondering if it would be possible to replace with real grass. Just looking for some starting ideas.

Thankyou

Chris

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace grass over pavers

Hello @chris97 

Thanks for sharing your question about replacing your artificial lawn. It most definitely is possible to remove your fake grass and move the pavers out of the way to replace it with real turf. There is also the option of replacing the old pavers with new pavers if you're thinking of ease of maintenance. You can also cover it with weed mat and pebbles in order to get some variety, but I suppose it depends on the size of the area.

The general steps will be to remove the artificial turns and pavers. Prepare the soil for planting, this includes aeration and the addition of topsoil and nutrients for the lawn. You can then purchase pre-rolled turf at your local store and position them in place.

I also suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to prepare land for re-turfing? by @VijayWani

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How To Lay Turf

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects