Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a Ryobi electric shredder?

artdeco
Getting Established

How to repair a Ryobi electric shredder?

I purchased this Ryobi electric shredder 2nd hand, and it's not working as it should. The model number is RSH2445T. Apparently they are very good shredders, but mine is not cutting right through the material that goes into it.

I'm looking for help on how to proceed with getting it repaired. 

A photo of the inside of the shredder is below. The piece of thick aluminium levered up to where the blades spin is the adjustment plate. The plate should be adjusted to just touch the blades, at which point a small amount of aluminium should be shaved off and the shredder should operate beautifully from that point on. The green knob partially shown on the left side of the photo is used to push the adjustment plate in further. Once adjusted, the knob gets locked into place with a locking knob. The issue in this case is that the adjustment plate cannot be pushed any further in, as the knob is at the end of its position. If the adjustment plate was wearing thin, I'd expect it to need replacing, but it's barely been worn down, so I doubt that's the problem. Instead, I'm wondering if something has perhaps broken off the end of the bolt that pushes against the adjustment plate. The end of the bolt has a hole in it with some wire through it, and that looks like it might have been messed with or damaged.

If anyone has a similar shredder, perhaps it could help to look at how the adjustment bolt works, whether there is a part missing, etc. Ultimately, if the bolt was perhaps 10mm longer, I wouldn't have a problem, so there may be other ways to achieve something like that. Thanks in advance for any help!

20220130_154758.jpg

Re: How to repair a Ryobi electric shredder?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mthatch9000. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Ryobi shredders.

Just to confirm, this plate doesn't sharpen your blades. It's an adjustment plate to ensure there is a zero gap clearance between the blades and the cutting anvil. At no time should the plate be extended into the blades to sharpen them. The knob is screwed until the plate only just makes contact with the blades, and a tiny amount of metal is shaved off. It's better still if you can adjust the plate to meet the blades with no metal being shaved off. I prefer to listen for a noise, and as soon as I hear a change, I stop immediately. Adjusting any further is just shaving off additional plate for no reason.

Your adjustment plate should only need to be bought closer to the blades, maybe twice a season at most. Under these conditions the adjustment plate will last for many years. Conversely, if the adjustment plate is screwed out too far and into the blades, the plate could be ground through entirely in a few moments.

If your machine is within the warranty period, I recommend returning it to your nearest Bunnings store with your proof of purchase so you can discuss the issue.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects