Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to re-turfing lawn with Buffalo grass?

NoorBhai
Community Newcomer

How to re-turfing lawn with Buffalo grass?

Good morning.

hope this message finds you well.

I am reaching out to seek your advice and recommendations regarding the front lawn at my residence. Currently, it is covered with Kikuyu grass, but over time, it has become heavily infested with various weeds, leaving the lawn in poor and unrepairable condition. I have tried with repairing it but, was not successful.

I am considering re-turfing the entire area with Buffalo grass as my backyard is also having Buffalo grass. As I am newbie and this is the first time I am living in an independent house with lawns, I would like to request your expert opinion on the best way to go about this process. Specifically, I would appreciate guidance on:

1. Firstly, is it a good idea to re-turf a lawn with previous kikuyu to buffalo, if not what?
  2. The most effective method for removing the existing Kikuyu grass and weeds.
  3. What are the different steps I need to take to re-turf in a correct manner and without any errors and future problems.
  4. Ongoing care and maintenance tips to keep the new lawn healthy and weed-free.

Your expertise would be invaluable in ensuring that the transition to Buffalo grass is successful and sustainable. I would be grateful for any suggestions or recommendations you can offer.

Thank you for your time and assistance, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,
NoorBHAI

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Request for Advice and Recommendations on Re-Turfing Lawn with Buffalo Grass

Hi @NoorBhai,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

There's no reason you can't go from Kikuyu to Buffalo grass, but it can be a bit tricky because Kikuyu is such a fast-spreading grass type. You'll need to kill and then remove the Kikuyu if you simply remove the top layer, it can lay dormant in the soil and can return.

Removing the Kikuyu is the most important step, so I'd advise you to have a professional landscaper do this for you. They will likely have to do it in stages. Spraying your lawn with a glyphosate herbicide to kill the lawn both above and below ground is likely the first step. They will then likely bring a skid steer to perform a site cut, removing the top layer of soil along with the dead grass.

Once the site cut has been performed, you will need to add a layer of topsoil around 50mm thick before laying your new turf. In smaller quantities, this Scotts Lawn Builder 25L Organic Lawn Soil Topdress & Underlay is a good option, however, topsoil can also be ordered in bulk through your store's Special Orders or Trade Desks. As suppliers for bulk goods are regional, I can't point you towards a specific listing on our website, so you'll have to speak with your local store to confirm availability.

You can check out How To Lay Turf for some guidance on the actual laying process.

For the first two weeks after installation, it's essential to water the turf frequently to help the roots establish. On the day of installation, water the turf thoroughly to moisten the soil about 10-15 cm deep, allowing the roots to start bonding with the soil below. For the next two weeks, water the turf two to three times per day, ensuring it stays consistently moist but not waterlogged. Early morning and early afternoon are the best times for watering, as this avoids excessive moisture overnight, which can cause fungal issues. Keeping the topsoil damp without creating standing water is important during this stage.

As the turf begins to take root in weeks three and four, you can reduce the frequency of watering. Once per day should be sufficient, providing enough water to moisten the soil about 10 cm deep. On cooler or cloudy days, you may need to water only once or twice a day. By gradually decreasing the watering frequency, the roots will start growing deeper into the soil.

After about five weeks, the turf should be well established, and you can shift to watering every other day or three times a week. At this point, it's important to water deeply to encourage the roots to grow further into the soil, which will help the grass become more drought-tolerant. With consistent deep watering, your lawn should thrive and grow into a healthy, strong turf. 

You can apply Lawn Solutions Australia Oxafert Herbicide And Fertiliser after the new turf has had 3 weeks of growth to prevent weeds from growing through. This is a pre-emergent herbicide. This means it will stop weed growth before it happens. Ensure you read the label carefully before applying. 

If you find over time some weeds start to grow through, ensure you use Buffalo-friendly herbicides such as Yates BuffaloPro Weed 'N' Feed Hose On Weed Killer.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects