Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prune a Lilly Pilly hedge?

BenN1
Growing in Experience

How to prune a Lilly Pilly hedge?

IMG_2096.jpeg

IMG_2094.jpeg

IMG_2092.jpeg

  

Hi everyone,

I'm seeking some advice on how to prune to create a thick hedge. I have a row of 5 weeping lilly pilly that are about 1.5 meters high, but the height is a bit uneven across them.

Should I start pruning the tops to encourage them to grow thicker on the sides and make their height more uniform? How much pruning should I do to achieve this?

I’ve attached some photos below for reference. All tips and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hedge plants - pruning tips

Hi @BenN1,

I would look at reducing the height, but more importantly, ensure you have applied a good slow-release fertiliser and an organic fertiliser. You want to make sure the plants have adequate nutrients moving into spring.

Below, I've included a guide as to where I would aim to prune. It's not an incredibly hard prune, but it will stop that top growth from becoming spindly and heading upwards. This will help concentrate this year's growth down lower to fill in more. In subsequent seasons, you can allow further upward growth.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BenN1
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc  for the response. 
Much appreciated.

A quick question on fertilising, is this the good time to top up some slow-release fertiliser and how often should I apply these fertilisers?

Thanks,

Ben

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Topping up fertiliser should be done as per the product instructions @BenN1. For slow-release chemical fertilisers, that's typically every six months. If you haven't been fertilising or are past that time frame, then now is a perfect time. With the weather warming up, the plant will begin to put on growth and will be searching for nutrients to sustain that.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects