Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to protect watermelon plants from pests?

Bash1991
Just Starting Out

How to protect watermelon plants from pests?

Hi Wonderful people. I have planted some watermelon seeds in my backyard and the seeds started germinating. I am a bit concerned of the potential pests that may destroy plants and potential fruits. Can anyone please help what all things I should buy and use.. I remember last time my wife complained of some snails and green caterpillars when she was growing tomatoe plants and wondering the same pests or new variety of pests would invade my watermelon plants.

We live in Lidcombe NSW.

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to protect watermelon plants from pests?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Bash1991. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about pest protection.

To start with, snails and slugs are common culprits that can chew through young plant leaves, causing considerable damage. To prevent this, you could use snail and slug pellets or traps around your garden. Products like Hortico 500g Snail And Slug Pellets are effective. Alternatively, you can create a barrier using crushed eggshells, which physically deters these pests.

Caterpillars, like the tomato grub, may also find your watermelon plants appealing. They feed on leaves and can even damage the fruit. An organic spray like Yates Success Ultra can be an excellent solution. It targets caterpillars and other leaf-eating insects without harming beneficial ones.

Lastly, keep an eye out for aphids. These small insects can cluster on the new growth of your watermelon plants, sucking sap and causing the leaves to curl or become distorted. Spraying your plants with a strong jet of water can help dislodge aphids. If the infestation becomes severe, you might consider using neem oil

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to protect watermelon plants from pests?

@MitchellMc Thank you so much. Much appreciated.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects