Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to protect house from garden bed and tree?

Vich
Just Starting Out

How to protect house from garden bed and tree?

What can I do to maintain integrity of the brickwork and underfloor area?

We just bought a 1970s home in ACT.

The previous owner made a beautiful garden bed up against the brickwork.

There is a drip watering system.installed and this keeps the soil moist and runs into the bricks.

I cannot see a damp course in the bricks. The underfloor is accessible and has good ventilation.

I've dug back the soil to reveal the vents.

I'd like advice - what should I do with this garden? Do I dig it up and start again?

How do I protect the house from damp if there is a garden here?

1000014552.jpg

1000014553.jpg

1000014554.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to protect house from garden bed and tree?

Hi @Vich,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

My suggestion is to dig a small trench along the brick line and insert some Tunnelcore 2250 x 1220 x 2.5mm Black Double Wall PP Flute Board along the bricks. You should aim for this to extend down past the line where the brick meets the foundation to prevent any dampness from moving sideways into the brick.

You could stick it in place with Liquid Nails, or simply backfill so it is held in place by the pressure of the soil. 

I think this would be a fairly non-invasive approach that would help keep your garden in tact.

Allow me to tag @TedBear, @Dave-1 and @Jewelleryrescue to see if they have any ideas.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Vich
Just Starting Out

Hi Jacob, thanks for a quick response. This sounds like a suitable solution. I would be happy to receive other ideas aswell.

Felicity 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @Vich 

Whoops, somehow I missed this question :surprised:

I like how you have removed the soil from the air vents, Id actually keep the soil in the garden just below that bottom of the air vent across the bed.

It would limit the moisture wanting to travel into the brickwork.

The tree that is there is what I wasnt too fond of 😕 I love trees and recently had to chop one down as it was about the same size as yours (maybe half again in height) but it was cracking a bessa block retaining wall as it was a self seeded jacaranda that had decided to grow there. Beautiful shade but bad for structures. I would consider removing it to stop longer term issues and believe me I dont like the idea. 

If you do go down the route of removing the tree it could be a good chance to put a solid air gap at the rear of the garden bed to the house bricks. Im thinking a brick edge or something that wont flex just to keep say 40mm distance off the wall.

Dave

Vich
Just Starting Out

Thanks Dave, I was thinking to remove the tree. You have given me confidence that this is the best choice. 

Lots of people in ACT have a tree exactly like this in exactly the same position to the house. I'm unsure why.  I think it would be better in a large pot.

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @Vich 

I think its nice small garden and they choose a smallish tree... But trees will be trees :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects