Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to protect against wasps in the garden?

DolceVita
Getting Established

How to protect against wasps in the garden?

Is there any protective type clothing that I can use that is effective if during my tree / hedge trimming I disturb wasps?

I’ve seen bee keeper type hat things but can wasps sting through them? 

I have visions of wasps chasing me and not sure what I should do if they do?

I know this is a silly question but I’m quite nervous about wasps!! 

Thanks.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to protect against wasps in the garden?

Not a silly question at all @DolceVita. The danger with wasps is that they can sting repeatedly and get very aggressive whenever they feel their nest is threatened. I have been stung by multiple wasps on a couple of occasions and it is not fun!

Do you currently know of a nest on your property? Are they native wasps or European wasps? 

There are some good tips in the article How do you keep European wasps at bay? but I will leave it to our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts to share some links to protective clothing. Hopefully some other keen gardeners can also share advice, like the wonderful @Noelle

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to protect against wasps in the garden?

Hi @DolceVita 

Hedges often provide perfect nesting spots for European wasps in particular as they can generally come and go without being disturbed. However, they can be very aggressive if you inadvertently provoke them while trimming your hedge! Their stings are very painful and may take months to settle down. Always wear protective clothing and, if you need to disturb them, do so either very early in the morning or late evening when they are much quieter and less likely to attack.

One of the best resources for information about European wasps is the Victorian Department of Health's website.

It also includes information that assists in determining if your wasps are of this type or friendlier native species.

Tips for deterring antagonistic wasps include:

• Do not leave fallen fruit or food scraps lying around the yard
  • Avoid leaving uneaten pet food or dog bones outside
  • Make sure rubbish bins have tight fitting lids
  • Keep compost covered at all times
  • Keep swimming pools covered when not in use
  • Cover exposed food at picnics and barbeques
  • Don't drink out of cans or bottles, use clear containers or a straw.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wasps

Hi @DolceVita,

It is great to see you've already received some advice from @Jason and @Noelle.

Thank you for your question. It is entirely understandable that you are concerned, and it is not a silly question at all. Having been attacked by wasps in the past, they are a very real, and very painful threat.

My suggestion would be to wear thick work clothes such as these long-sleeved shirts and pants alongside thick gardening gloves and a Mosquito Head Net.

Ensure you tuck all the different items of clothing into each other to avoid any exposed skin that the wasps could target.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects