Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove posts and chicken wire in garden?

patdean
Just Starting Out

How to remove posts and chicken wire in garden?

We brought a house in the country, from an old Croation couple, with a garden

but that's over run by old grapes wines and a lot of old post covered with chicken wire

What is the best way to start getting rid of the posts and chicken wire, please

both hubby and I are not handy people, all my gardens have been in pots before on balcony

Please help, not much left in the bank after buying house, so can't afford to hire anyone

trying to do it ourselves so any advise would be much appreciated

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove posts and chicken wire in garden?

Hi @patdean,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is wonderful to have you join us.

I'd suggest you start by removing the chicken wire using a pair of aviation snips to cut the chicken wire away from the posts. Ensure you wear suitable protective clothing while doing this as well as some gloves and eye protection to reduce the risk of any lacerations.

The next step is to remove the posts. 

Can you advise what kind of posts they are? For example, are they star pickets like these ultraposts? Or a timber post such as these H4 posts?

If the posts are star pickets, you can use a Post Lifter and Remover to lever them out of the ground. This may require you to use a solid block, such as an old piece of timber to support the post lifter to ensure it does not dig into the ground while lifting.

If the posts are timber posts that have been concreted, or driven into the earth, you will likely need to dig them out. This can be done with a fencing bar to break up the soil and a shovel to remove it.

Let me know if you have any further questions or need some clarification.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects