Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare the ground and plant flowers?

michaelsync
Growing in Experience

How to prepare the ground and plant flowers?

Hi all,

I am new to gardening and never plant anything. But I have this area in my unit. 

IMG_20240710_145259.jpg

I want to clean up but would love to keep some plants if possible. And I want to plant small and colourful plants that have flowers all seasons. 

I am thinking to buy the following plants from Bunnings. Do you think it is a good choice? I want to cover the whole area with small plants and then have a bigger/longer plants like roses in the middle. 

IMG_20240630_152224.jpg

IMG_20240630_152225.jpg

How do I prepare the ground? What types of soil should I buy?

How do I calculate how many bags I need?

Those plants comes with small grid pot. Should I remove those pots or put them with the pots?

If those flowers are nota good choice, please suggest me. 

Thank you. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prepare the ground and plant flowers?

Hi @michaelsync,

That sounds like a great project, and having smaller plants around your roses is entirely possible. You seem to have taken a fancy to the violets and violas, so here's a helpful guide: Planting and growing violets and violas. They typically flower in spring, but some varieties have year-round flowering. Speak to a helpful Nursery team member at your nearest Bunnings store and they'll be able to check the characteristics of them for you and help you select.

You might not need to significantly prepare the ground provided the soil is of reasonable quality. From your images, it looks quite good, so you should be able to plant straight into it without the need for additional soil. You'll want to remove the plants from their pots before planting. Here's a guide on How to plant seedlings.

Some mulch around the smaller flowering plants would finish the area off nicely.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you, mate. I will go and get some plants this weekend. :smile: 

I got some flowers last week. I also talked with the expert from Bunnings. She said that there is no all season  violas. It is selling $2 per plant because it last only one season and need to remove and buy them next year. 

So I also took a couple of different plant too. 

Let me know if you know the all season flower that I don't need to replanting every year. Thanks. 

IMG_20240714_092836.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @michaelsync 

Here is a list of plants that flower throughout the year. Please keep in mind that your location and environmental conditions play a big part in a plant's health.

• Rose Iceberg

• Bracteantha ‘Everlasting Daisy’

• Erigeron ‘Seaside Daisy’

• Polygala ‘Sweet Pea’

• Anigozanthos ‘Kangaroo Paw’

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects