Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare land for re-turfing?

VijayWani
Finding My Feet

How to prepare land for re-turfing?

Hi there,

My backyard had lawn with full of weed earlier and was covered with plastic. The land is uneven had some plants which were removed,

I want to returf the lawn. Please let me know steps to prepare the land and lay the turf.

Do I need to dig out the old lawn ? If yes, please let me know the tools required for land preparation and laying the new turf. 

Regards,

Vijay WaniWhatsApp Image 2024-09-11 at 13.18.19_11cd47c5.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-09-11 at 13.18.19_07359f46.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prepare land for re-turfing

Hi @VijayWani,

To prepare your backyard for re-turfing, you’ll first need to remove the existing lawn and any weeds. It appears that most of the turf is gone, so focus on digging out any remaining patches using a spade. 

After clearing the area, remove any leftover plants, roots, and debris to create a clean slate. Next, level the ground by filling in any low spots with quality topsoil, and use a rake to smooth out the surface. If your soil is heavy clay or sandy, consider improving it with gypsum or organic matter to enhance drainage and fertility. Once the soil is prepared, spread a 50-100mm layer of turf topsoil to provide a strong base for the new turf. 

Compact the soil lightly with a lawn roller to remove air pockets, then start laying the turf along a straight edge. Ensure the turf pieces fit snugly together without gaps, and stagger the joints for stability.

After laying the turf, water it thoroughly to help the roots establish. Keep the turf well-watered in the following weeks and mow it once it reaches about 6-7cm in height, cutting only a third of the blade length at a time. With these steps, your backyard will be ready for a lush new lawn. 

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to lay turf.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects