Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mulch large yuccas?

RubyT
Community Newcomer

How to mulch large yuccas?

Hi there

i have some enormous yuccas - they are tree-sized - with trunk diameter of up to 50cm (and over a meter at the base). I would like to mulch/woodchip them. The ‘wood’ of the trunk is very wet and pulpy. Is there any machinery that could pulp/woodchip them without getting clogged? Also, can I use the mulch/woodchip on the garden, or is it toxic?

Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mulching yuccas

Hello @RubyT 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about mulching yuccas. 

While they are not highly toxic to humans, certain parts of the plant, such as the leaves and seeds, contain saponins, which can cause gastrointestinal discomfort if ingested. It's always a good idea to keep your Yucca plants out of reach of pets and children and to handle them with care. Just to be on the safe side, I don't recommend using it as mulch especially if you have young children and pets. 

In regards to mulching the yucca, I suggest cutting it in half and letting it dry off for a couple of weeks. This will make it easier to mulch and prevent clogging the blades of the mulching machine. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to mulch large yuccas?

Hi @RubyT,

Mulchers are designed to chip and shred branches up to around 50mm in thickness, but it sounds like your trunks are far larger than that. I can't think of any practical way of you being able to cut up the trunks into pieces that would fit in any mulcher. I would suggest that you would be best employing the services of a tree removalist to come and mulch the trunks with their far more powerful machine.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects