Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to maintain an outdoor fern?

mpbel
Finding My Feet

How to maintain an outdoor fern?

20211230_114847.jpg

20211230_114852.jpg

mpbel
Finding My Feet

Re: How to maintain an outdoor FERN?

Hi all,

Our ferns are getting brownish and I don't know what am I doing wrong? How to maintain an outdoor fern and is there a possibility of a regrowth? Thanks in advance.

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mpbel and thanks for reaching out with your question.

Let me tag @Noelle for her thoughts.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @mpbel 

Ferns prefer light to medium shade rather than exposure to full sun because their fronds will burn.  They also do best where their roots are cool and moist.  The root area in your pic is shaded but the mass of concrete around the area will act as a huge heat sink, storing warmth that will heat the soil too.

Plenty of water over the summer, cutting back in winter when temperatures are cooler, and maybe even a temporary shade cloth cover erected over it as well to afford it more protection than it's currently getting.

The tips of some fronds are browning either through heat or lack of moisture.Older fronds low down will also die off as new growth appears at the crown of each plant.  All is not lost as the newer fronds appear quite healthy.  Look after the watering, try to maintain cool soil around the roots and feed it occasionally from spring to late summer with an organic fertiliser (apply at about half the recommended rate).

@StevieB thanks for taging @Noelle .

@Noelle thank you for the information. Really a great help!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects