Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to kill fig tree connected to veggie patch?

nubnub
Just Starting Out

How to kill fig tree connected to veggie patch?

Hi everyone,

This self-sown fig tree that sprouted in between the crack of our fence was initially charming (my silly mistake to not realise what would happen here!) but is now wreaking havoc with the fence and the veggie patch.

The soil has dried out to the adjoining veggie patch and I am wanting to get the beds ready for spring planting.

How can I best poison this?

I have significant cut it down, as you can see it is still sprouting and the remaining trunk thickening. I have never done anything like this before.

If I drill into it (vertically?) will it poison the soil in the veggie patch and render veggie planting useless? Shall I use epsom salts or something more hardcore?

Thank you for all your wisdom here.IMG_0380.jpgIMG_0381.jpgIMG_0309.jpgIMG_0310.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to kill fig tree connected to veggie patch?

Hello @nubnub 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about the fig tree in your veggie patch.

Before you treat the fig tree, please make sure that it is only growing on your side of the fence and is not part of a larger tree on the other side. If you are certain that it is only your side, I suggest using a multitool with a timber plunge blade. I propose cutting the remining stump all the way to the bottom leaving you a flat surface. I then suggest drilling large multiple holes on the stump and filling them with Manutec 1kg Epsom Salt. Please make sure to put it only on the stump and not the surrounding soil.

Once all the holes are full, put some water in each hole until they are saturated but not overflowing. Cover the stump with a black plastic bag to prevent sunlight from shinning on it. You'll need to do several applications until the stump totally dries out.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you stop a tree stump regrowing?

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects