Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to grow Fiddle Leaf Fig straight?

Annitaxo
Community Newcomer

How to grow Fiddle Leaf Fig straight?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi, I just need some advice on my new fiddle leaf fig. I have had to attach the stems of the plant on a straight stick to make sure they are standing up straight. Without the stick they have no strength and will fall down. Do I need a new pot? How do I make it so they grow in their natural pattern ? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fiddle Leaf Fig growing strange

Hi @Annitaxo,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is wonderful to have you with us.

It is certainly possible that your plant has outgrown its current pot and needs to move to something larger. If the plant is rootbound, the top of the plant can overtime outgrow its root system, causing it to be "top-heavy". 

How long have you had the plant and is it in the original pot it came in? Has it grown significantly since being in its current pot? If you lift the plant up, can you see roots through the drainage holes at the bottom of the black plastic pot?

If you find that the roots are poking out the bottom of the pot, it is likely time to repot your plant. When repotting, you should aim to increase the size of the pot by 5-10cm in diameter, so the plant is still snug but has some room to grow.

Another potential reason for its weakness is that it is not getting enough sun. Insufficient light can cause a fiddle leaf fig to grow tall and leggy with a weak trunk. Ensuring the pot is in a location that gets plenty of sunlight, even if it is outdoors for a while, will help it to grow the strength needed to support itself.

Staking the plant like you have done is perfect to support the plant while it gains the strength needed to support itself. You should however aim to reduce its reliance on the stake over time. This can be done by slowly loosening the plant ties bit by bit until it is completely supporting itself.

Allow me to tag @Noelle, our resident horticultural guru to see if she has any other advice.

You might also like to have a read through How To Grow And Care For a Fiddle Leaf Fig for some additional information.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to grow Fiddle Leaf Fig straight?

Hi @Annitaxo 

Welcome to the Community!

If your Fiddle Leaf Fig is not able to support itself - the stem is not strong enough to remain upright - then it is likely the plant needs repotting into the next size larger pot and fresh indoor plant potting mix. Don't go up more than one pot size at a time.

Possibly the current potting mix is drying out too quickly because there is too little of it to hold enough moisture for a plant of this size, which will in turn cause the plant to wilt and so fall over. Staking is a good idea anyway until the plant has hardened up a bit and the stem is not quite so soft and sappy.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects