Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of wintergrass without damaging lawn?

varusman
Just Starting Out

How to get rid of wintergrass without damaging lawn?

IMG_4408.jpeg

i have quite a situation with wintergrass weeds. I’ve purchased oxafert pre emergent herbicide so will be applying this every 3 months to address the issue for next year.

my main question is should I be removing the current weeds given that every time I do it pulls up the underlying grass (sir Walter buffalo)?

any other tips to revive this lawn?

IMG_4409.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to get rid of wintergrass without damaging lawn?

Hello @varusman 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about winter grass.

I propose investing in a Fiskars 4 Prongs Xact Weed Puller, it is one of the most impressive weed pullers I've seen that generally just pulls the weeds out. Getting a bit of damage on the lawn is unavoidable specially if the weed has integrated itself with the lawn's roots. to help with the lawn recovery, I suggest aerating the soil using Saxon Lawn Aerator Sandals and using Scotts Lawn Builder 8kg All Purpose Slow-Release Lawn Fertiliser to fertilize the soil. 

I also suggest having a look at these guides and discussions:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
varusman
Just Starting Out

Thanks EricL for the very detailed response! I will be looking at the weed puller and the aerator sandals this weekend at Bunnings. On the slow-release lawn fertiliser, should I be using this as well as the Oxafert Pre-emergent Herbicide that I am planning on using every 3 months?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @varusman 

That is an excellent question. Please don't use the slow-release fertilizer if you are using Oxafert Pre-emergent Herbicide. The Oxafert already contains a fertilizer component, so you don't want to burn the roots of your lawn by applying too much fertilizer. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects