Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of tiny black bugs on indoor plant leaves?

Christina2024
Finding My Feet

How to get rid of tiny black bugs on indoor plant leaves?

Hi. I'm hoping for some advice on how to remove tiny black bugs that are appearing on the leaves of my plant. Photos attached. Thank you.

20240604_141229.jpg

20240604_141331.jpg

20240604_141425.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to get rid of tiny black bugs on indoor plant leaves?

Hello @Christina2024 

Thanks for sharing your question about the black bugs on your indoor plant. Are these black spots all over the leaves of the plant? If it is, would it possible for you to take a close-up photo of the black spot, are there any crawling black insects on the leaf? If there are, can you please take a photo of that as well.

If the infestation has not totally covered your plant, I suggest using a toothpick and see if you can lift the black spot off the leaf. 

Is the plant showing any signs of being weak or sick? Are any of the leaves showing insect damage? Any other symptoms you can tell us about your plant would be very much appreciated. It will help us narrow down what could be going on with your plant.

Here is a handy guide: How to diagnose a sick plant by @Noelle 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to get rid of tiny black bugs on indoor plant leaves?

That looks suspiciously like a scale insect, which the toothpick should confirm by being able to flick it off. A light application of a horticultural oil (such as eco oil) over the pests should do the trick or, if there's just a few of them, then remove them by hand and dispose of them in the rubbish bin.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects