Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to decorate a fish bowl with plants

ehill
Having an Impact

How to decorate a fish bowl with plants

What started as an idea for a friends birthday present soon turned into a small addiction and 2 new members of the household!!!

PXL_20240626_081422301.jpg

PXL_20240706_062917013.jpg

Materials

Some kind of glass "fish" bowl or really any glass jar big enough to house a plant and/or a fish!

I used a long cylindrical glass vase, a fancy glass vase with a wooden plate and and a fish bowl!!! I even used a glass jar to make this bamboo non-fishbowl!  

I drilled a hole into the lid first and then spray painted it. Gluing the rubber seal from the original packaging under the lid to keep the bamboo in tact!I drilled a hole into the lid first and then spray painted it. Gluing the rubber seal from the original packaging under the lid to keep the bamboo in tact!

Audrey's first fish!Audrey's first fish!Fishies! Betta fish are better! HA! Not only cause they're so so sooooo pretty but they don't need a huuuuuge amount of space like the aquariums in doctors! Just be sure to give them plenty of fresh clean water and access to oxygen (something about their gills breathing air?) Oh! And keep them separated (they're also known as "Siamese fighting fish" and only one will be the winner! BFFF : Best Fish Friends ForeverBFFF : Best Fish Friends Forever

NB: Adding fish is completely optional and depending on your beliefs you may not like to keep a fish in a bowl (apologies if I have upset anyone...) BUT they do provide your plant with fertiliser (they're poo hehe) so it's up to you!!!

Rocks or Pebbles - I used black, natural, and some pretty glass pebbles, as well as mirror chips and rhinestones- be sure to wash them before you use them and check if they’re safe for fishies!

A plant! Washed - no soil! I used a Peace Lilly, Anthurium and Lucky Bamboo but you could use pretty much any indoor plant (or aquaplant!) Here's a vast collection of options!Here's a vast collection of options!

I particularly like Peace Lilly's, ZZ plants and Snake Plants because not only are they beautiful and have luscious green leaves but they also provide so many extra benefits for : anxiety and depression, oxygen and also help to remove toxins from the air. Oh and they’re fairly low maintenance 😉

Tap water that has been sitting to room temperature for a few hours.

An ornament or feature such as a skull or some dinosaurs! But make sure they will sink and not float - you can stick them down into the rocks but if they come loose it's best that they are weighted down - I glued my skull with Gorilla Glue and let it cure for a few days before popping it in. I also spray painted with White Knight Squirts in satin gold then glued the rhinestones onto the eyes for that extra sparkle!

Fish food!!! If having fish, of course!

Hydro Clay Pebbles - a fish friendly medium to prevent mould!

Tools

Long tweezers or tongs - Try NOT to use your hands!!! I know right?!? ha! but it will make the water dirty! And that's not good for your fishy!

Steps

Step 1

Clean everything - bowl, pebbles, clay pebbles, etc. dry with a paper towel or clean tea towel. 

Step 2

Pop in a level layer of clay pebbles* (pre-washed!)

* I’d only learnt about this AFTER - so when I clean my babies out next I will be putting this in!!! 

Step 3

Add your rocks and pebbles! 

If you’re using a Lucky Bamboo make sure the rock layer is thick enough to hold the bamboo in.

PXL_20240619_074107272.jpg

If you’re using a plant on top, fill as much as you like on the bottom (but keep in mind how much space your fish will need!)

Think about the ratio of you area!Think about the ratio of you area!

You can even get creative and add some dinosaurs!!!!

Gotta love that "fishbowl" effect!Gotta love that "fishbowl" effect!

Step 4

Prep your plant! Basically, you’re just unpotting and washing away all the soil!

Step 5

Plant it-ish - the Lucky Bamboo is easy - just poke it in and place larger decorative rocks around it to hold it in place until its roots.

develop! PXL_20240619_074125425.jpg PXL_20240619_074115262.jpg

When planting on top of a fish bowl the plant will need something to sit on - without a. sinking to the bottom and b. blocking air from the fish!

I used the lid of a hydro planter to fit into the fish bowl and a pot liner with cut slits in it to go in my cylindrical bowl.

Then fill your plant container with more decorative rocks and pebbles.

PXL_20240621_110220557.jpg

Step 6

After a few days of settling - add your FISHY!!! 

Just add fish!Just add fish!

Home Sweet Home!Home Sweet Home!And the baby formula has to ruin a beautiful picture! hahahaAnd the baby formula has to ruin a beautiful picture! hahaha

hours.... just hours....hours.... just hours....

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to decorate a fish bowl with plants

What a great project @ehill. I trust your little helper had plenty of fun creating a new home for their fishy friend. Hours of enjoyment right there.

Well done, and many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects