Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover plinth boards in garden bed next to fence?

Dorin88
Community Newcomer

How to cover plinth boards in garden bed next to fence?

I need some advice , can I cover the plinths boards with black plastic sheets 

1000007037.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: garden bed next to fence

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Dorin88. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about covering plinths.

You could cover the plinth with black sheeting, but what were your intentions for doing so? You shouldn't fill soil up against them, as they are not structural members and will eventually bend, allowing soil into the adjacent property. Your soil level should really finish at the base of them and no higher.

If you can tell helpful members a bit more about your project, I trust they'll have some fantastic solutions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

My dad wants to make a garden bed along the fence and plant vegetables!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It appears that you have a significant amount of depth already to plant vegetables, and raising the soil further might not be needed, @Dorin88.

If you did want to build the soil up against the plinth, which I wouldn't advise, it would be best to install another plinth on the top to increase the thickness and provide more support for your soil.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell mc should I install treated pine sleepers along the plinth board and cover with plastic black sheets?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Treated pine sleepers would be even better, @Dorin88. Covering them with plastic is a good way to help prevent any treatments from seeping into the surrounding soil.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects