Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose a garden mulcher?

AlanDuncan
Just Starting Out

How to choose a garden mulcher?

I need to mulch green leaves and  small tree branches for my tumbler composter - so what is the difference between a shredder and crusher mulcher?  I assume a chipper is basically for branches and produces around 12mm chips but what do the shredders and crushers do?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garden mulchers

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AlanDuncan. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about garden mulchers.

Both shredders and crushers will produce fairly fine mulch, but they work in slightly different ways. A shredder uses a high-speed spinning plate with blades to slice through green leaves, small branches, and other organic material. This makes it ideal for quickly processing softer green waste like leaves, smaller branches, and plant clippings. The result is a finely shredded mulch that will break down quickly in your tumbler composter.

A crusher, on the other hand, uses a slower-moving barrel fitted with blades or gears to crush the material. While it works at a slower pace compared to a shredder, the crusher can handle tougher materials like thicker branches more efficiently. It also pulls the material into the machine, making it a little easier to use as it requires less manual feeding.

As for chippers, you're spot on—they are designed more for thicker branches and produce larger wood chips, typically around 12mm. They’re great if you’re looking to process bulkier wood for garden paths or mulch that takes longer to decompose.

If you're mainly focusing on green leaves and small branches for your composter, either a shredder or a crusher will work well, but a shredder might be faster for your needs.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects