Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a crazy paver wall and garden edging?

darcyDIY
Just Starting Out

How to build a crazy paver wall and garden edging?

Hi,

Looking at doing a crazy paver wall/garden edge - see attached rough inspos 

Fair to say I'm new to this so after some guidance with how start as I'll be literally starting from the ground up

Understand it'll take a bit of work and know how but with how good it looks willing to put in the hard yards

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated and will be keen to provide updates and final end product once done and dusted

Thanks 👍Screenshot_20240914-190149.png

Screenshot_20240914-190516.pngScreenshot_20240914-192307.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Crazy Paver Wall / Garden Edging

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @darcyDIY. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about crazy paving walls.

It looks like you’ve got some great inspiration to work with. Do you have any specific questions to start? That would be really helpful for our members when providing advice. The bulk of this project will involve building a solid and stable structure for the pavers, so knowing more about your plan will help. Were you thinking of creating a freestanding wall, or perhaps something like a garden bed as shown in your inspiration images?

In general, the key steps will include preparing and compacting the ground, then building a timber frame to suit your desired structure. After that, you’ll want to clad the frame with fibrecement boards to create a suitable surface for the pavers. Once the structure is ready, you’ll break the pavers to achieve that ‘crazy’ pattern, adhere them with a strong exterior tile adhesive, and finally grout the gaps to complete the look. It's a bit of work, but with patience, the result will be well worth it.

Let me mention one of our fabulous members @EleventhCoastal, who is currently working on a crazy paving project, to see if they can share some insights. Also, here's a helpful guide: How to lay crazy paving.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks so much for the speedy response and information

Specifically it'll be exactly like the second picture, roughly the same height and all for the garden beds/edging

Was thinking something along the lines of making a cement base/foundation with the timber frame

- would I need to make the foundation cement base and wait for it to fully dry first or would I put down the Besser blocks and base in one go? Or within a certain time period of each other?

Besser blocks and cement 

- any good recommendations for cement?

and then would I attach the fibrecement boards to that? (Sorry if I've misunderstood your message) 

Am I on the right track? or would I only need to do the timber frame without the Besser blocks?

Just read eleventhcoastals post and very handy tips in there so thank you again

Thank you

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @darcyDIY 

If you are using Besser blocks, then there would be no need to use a timber frame. If you were to use a timber frame, then it would need to be covered with a fibre cement board. But because the Besser block has a rough cementitious surface there is no need to cover it with fibre cement.  

I propose looking at the Besser block set from Brighton Masonry or Adbri Masonry. For the cement, I suggest standard concrete mix, please make sure not to get the quick drying set as they have a small window of usability. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
darcyDIY
Just Starting Out

Hi,

Fantastic thank you very much

I've got to knock down a couple of trees, once that's done and dusted I'll get started on this and keep it updated

Darcy

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects