Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add a tall hedge or screening beneath high retaining wall and fence?

TimBr
Just Starting Out

How to add a tall hedge or screening beneath high retaining wall and fence?

19fa2346-e079-4773-9d75-826998be8e68-1_all_17519.jpg

 Hi, I'd like to screen out neighbours as shown in the attached picture. That are to the left side boundary of my property. There's a 1.5m high retaining wall and a 1.8m high fence on top of that. Anything planted on my low side needs to grow to 3.3m to get above the fence line. I'm concerned that planting close to the retaining wall and fence will undermine the integrity of the retaining wall. Total height I want the screen to reach is about 6 metres. Unfortunately the neighbour has concreted their high side so they won't be growing screening there.

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add a tall hedge or screening beneath high retaining wall and fence?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @TimBr. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about selecting screening.

I’d highly recommend considering bamboo for your screening. Bamboo, especially clumping varieties, are fast-growing, and can easily reach the 6-metre height you’re aiming for. Clumping bamboo varieties, like Bambusa textilis or Bambusa gracilis, have a non-invasive root system, which makes them perfect for planting near structures like retaining walls and fences without risking structural damage. Their roots form tight clumps rather than spreading outwards, so you won’t have to worry about undermining the integrity of your retaining wall.

Additionally, bamboo provides a dense, natural screen, offering both privacy and a visually appealing green backdrop. The rapid growth rate of bamboo is also a big plus—within a couple of seasons, you could have a lush, tall screen in place that reaches the necessary height to fully block out the neighbours.

I’d recommend looking into these helpful resources for more information on bamboo and screening:

The clumping varieties will give you peace of mind in terms of minimal root spread and long-term manageability while providing the height and thickness needed for effective privacy screening.

You might like to check out these helpful articles: How to choose a screening plant and How to choose a hedging plant

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects