Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How does the Moda Self Watering Planter work?

AllisonP
Just Starting Out

How does the Moda Self Watering Planter work?

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/moda-35cm-granite-square-self-watering-stone-lite-planter_p2941337

Moda self watering planter.jpg

I bought this planter for indoor plants but can't figure out how to use it, and cannot find any information online either. The outer part has no external openings, other than the raised spout in the base (there's a stopper provided under the tape in the photo). The inner is like a shelf with various depressions.

I have seen online that other similar planters have some sort of a spout and/or indicator for watering. If I put the stopper in (which I will have to do for inside use) the water will accumulate inside the container. If the plant and soil fill the top section, there is no way to tell how high the water level is. I could easily overwater without realising and kill the plant. There's no handle or anything to lift the plant shelf.

Mostly I have my indoor plants in a plastic pot which is placed in a solid cover pot, and I can lift the plant out to check the water level. But some are getting big and bulky and I had hoped the self-watering system would fix the problem. Would really appreciate any help, otherwise I will have to return the pot and go back to Plan A

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How does the Moda Self Watering Planter work?

Hello @AllisonP

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's magnificent to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the Moda self-watering planter. 

Using this particular self-watering planter is an exercise in discipline. To give you a brief explanation soil enters the various depressions in the "shelf" this actually is the mechanism that provides the wicking action to occur inside the pot. Without the stopper, water will overflow through that raised spout indicating that the bottom of the pot is full and you should stop adding water. 

However, with the stopper in place, you'll have to control yourself from watering the plant as any water in the planter will need to evaporate naturally through the soil. You'll now have to monitor the moisture in the soil for a few weeks to determine how long the water at the bottom will last.

The other option is to get an EDEN Clear Round Porto Saucer - 240mm to go under the planter with the stopper removed. Since there are so many variables from plant type to soil type that you'll be using, evaporation times will vary depending on how you set it up. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @Noelle for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AllisonP
Just Starting Out

Thanks Eric - very helpful information.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

To add to @EricL's helpful reply, @Allison, you might like to place the platform in the pot and fill the pot with water until it reaches just below the top of the platform. Then, pour that water into your usual watering can. This will show you the total amount of non-absorbed water you can add to the pot without reaching a level that will start to waterlog the soil. If you water the plant with this amount of water when the soil is dry and it's due for water, you should be fine, as a substantial amount of water will also be absorbed into the soil.

It sounds a bit complex, but you'll soon get used to it. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects