Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I stop people parking their cars half on my nature strip?

wongedwoman
Growing in Experience

How do I stop people parking their cars half on my nature strip?

cars are sometimes parked half on my nature strip.  There is a tree in the middle of the nature strip.  Can I put some rocks around the tree to circle the tree to stop them parking.  What should I use to do that.

Thanks20240616_124144.jpg

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do I stop people parking their cars half on my nature strip?

Hi @wongedwoman, you could try planting a small bush at each end, near the driveways (not big enough to block the view of the road as you leave), then a row of small plants along the roadside.

Is the verge used for anything though, such as putting your bins out on? If so you'll need to leave a gap for that.

wongedwoman
Growing in Experience

our nature strip though is the council's property, it is apparently governed by body corp which does not allow us to plant trees or bushes on the nature strip but I have seen some people putting borders around tree. Maybe there is another way to surround the tree in a shape big enough to stop parking??

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Might be worth talking to your local council (body corp) first @wongedwoman, before you build your personal Stonehenge.

Long story - but my council had clear stipulations about a treated pine barrier I proposed.

There had to be 1.5 metres clear distance from the kerb to the barrier.

- To allow for garbage bin placement.

- To allow legally parked cars on a public road egress space for the passenger doors - without hindrance from the barrier, vegetation and loose ground material.

- And ultimately allow those persons easy and unhindered access to the adjacent pavement.

But I guess every council is different.

If the car above is not legally parked - then that's another matter.

Cheers!

20240930_160914.jpg

wongedwoman
Growing in Experience

Thank you for letting me know.  I certainly did not know that.

Something to think about.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects