Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I help my Hydrangea?

NavK04
Finding My Feet

How can I help my Hydrangea?

Hello,

I recently repotted this hydrangea from the grey pot to the bigger barrel pot. 
I didn’t notice any root rot smell but the poor plant was very root bound. 
I used osmocote potting mix. 

could anyone please guide me on the following? 
1) what to do about those reddish brownish marks on the plant/ light green leaves ? 
2) is now a good time to prune off the two branches on left side to encourage plant to have a fuller growth in the middle? 
( please refer to the photo with barrel planter- dark brown coloured one) 

thanks a lot 

IMG_1778.jpeg

IMG_1769.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I help my Hydrangea?

Hi @NavK04,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

There are two thoughts I have about the discolouration. 

The first is that it could be a touch of sunburn, which is easy to address by simply moving the plant to an area with less direct sunlight. Partial shade during the hottest parts of the day will help prevent sunburn on the leaves.

The second is that your Hydrangea could be lacking a few essential nutrients. A general liquid fertiliser such as this PowerFeed Fertiliser Liquid Concentrate would certainly help. Ensure you follow the manufacturer's instructions for mixing and application amounts.

Concerning pruning the growth on the left side of the plant in the barrel planter, now would be a good time to prune the branches as we are coming into the prime growing season when the plant will be best equipped to repair the damage and redirect the energy to other places.

Allow me to tag @Noelle to see if she has any advice to offer.

You might also like to have a read through How To Grow And Care For Hydrangeas for some further information.

Jacob

Re: How can I help my Hydrangea?

Thank you @JacobZ . Really appreciate your response. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects