Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do you need to treat Sienna Micropro sawn edges?

MikeJ7168
Just Starting Out

Do you need to treat Sienna Micropro sawn edges?

If I resaw a Sienna Micropro treated product do I need to re-treat the sawn edges/faces. Thinking of resawing either 50mm or 75mm thick sleepers into boards to build planters.

Thanks.

Mike

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Do you need to treat Sienna Micropro sawn edges?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and thanks for joining in the discussion @MikeJ7168.

Please note that a couple of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts are taking a well-earned break at the moment, so there might be a bit of a delay before one can get back to you. Sorry about that.

In the meantime, let me tag a few members for their thoughts: @JoeAzza@Poppop@woodalwaysworks.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @MikeJ7168 , I have just looked up some information of the timber described, please read link below, it might help you decide on how to proceed.

https://microprosienna.com/resources/working-with-micropro-sienna/

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MikeJ7168,

As per the information @JoeAzza has helpfully supplied, it is important to seal all cut ends. I recommend using TWA Woodcare 300g Ecoseal Tanalised Timber Treatment if the cut end is going below ground/on ground, or you can use Tanalised 300g Clear Enseal Timber Treatment for above ground.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Joe, that would appear to be definitive. Pretty much as I had thought, but information I had found was conflicting, about as many suggestions that pressure treated didn't need sawn edges treating as that said it did. Might well be worth buying untreated and treating it myself , as I will end up retreating most of it if I resaw boards anyway.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects