Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do I need to fill up under the deck?

Crimson99
Just Starting Out

Do I need to fill up under the deck?

Hi everyone!

I am looking for some advice if I need to add more soil to level my backyard before building a deck to enable access from the house.

In the picture below, after the deck, there will still be about 1.5m or so towards the fence which I would have to raise the Ground to be level.

However,if I am putting a deck,should I still raise the Ground under the deck because it would make a big difference as to how much soil I need. 

Many thanks in advance

20240908_125919.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do I need to fill up under the deck?

Hi @Crimson99,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

If you were planning on using concreted posts, there is no need to add soil. It is actually better for a deck to have more clearance from the soil to allow for airflow under the deck, so any moisture is dried out quickly. 

While there is no need to add fill under the deck, I'd suggest adding agi pipe that is connected to your stormwater pipes so that any subsurface water is taken away and covering the area in Weed Mat to prevent weeds from growing under the deck.

You might like to check out How to install garden drainage and How To Install Weed Matting for some guidance with this.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects