Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use yucca trunk to fill a raised garden bed?

Kell678
Getting Established

Can you use yucca trunk to fill a raised garden bed?

I’m looking to fill a tall raised garden bed. We have recently chopped some yuccas down in our back yard and was wondering if it’s okay to use the yucca trunk to help fill and build up our garden bed. Also is it okay to use garden pebbles in the bottom (which you can also see in the pics).

image.jpg

image.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you use yucca trunk to fill a raised garden bed

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kell678. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about filling a garden bed.

That's fine to use to prevent wastage of potting mix in the lower portions where roots will never reach. I presume this is just where the offcuts and pebbles are sitting, and you are not planning on filling up against weatherboards  (if that's what they are), as that certainly wouldn't be a good idea.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much Mitchell. Was really unsure about the yucca trunk so will be great to repurpose.

Yes that’s correct this is just where the off cuts are sitting. I have a color bond raised garden bed so definitely keen to build it up before adding the soil. I’ve also got some cardboard to use as well. This is my plan to fill it up (from bottom to top) which I’m hoping is okay?

Pebbles
Cardboard
Yucca trunks
Leaves and sticks
Basic potting mix
Really good potting mix.

I’ve been to Bunnings and looked at the soil so some great options. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Kelly

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That sounds good @Kell678. Check out this wonder project: Hugelkultur raised garden bed using Colorbond fencing. Just remember that any organic material will break down over a few seasons, and you'll need to top your potting mix up to accommodate.

Mitchell

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. Have a great day!

Cheers

Kelly

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Kell678,

Just to add to Mitch's response, we have a fantastic guide from expert @Noelle that I would encourage you to read - How to fill a raised garden bed. I'm sure you will find it very useful.

Jason

Kell678
Getting Established

Thanks so much Jason. I will definitely have a look!

Cheers

Kelly

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects