Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can mouldy potting mix still be used?

Tina3
Just Starting Out

Can mouldy potting mix still be used?

20240623_120232.jpg

Tina3
Just Starting Out

Re: mouldy potting mix , can it still be used for potting plants?

I've got 3 bags of potting mix , the 1st bag is full of mould can it still be used ? I don't want to open the other 2 as if I have to return to swap them over it will make mess in car.. they were all stored together under carport 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: mouldy potting mix , can it still be used for potting plants?

Hi @Tina3,

Many thanks for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you join us.

What you are seeing is mycelium, which is always present in rich organic soils. It is actually an indicator of healthy soil and can be quite beneficial.

Mycelium in soil helps break down organic matter, improving nutrient availability and soil structure. It also supports plant growth, increases biodiversity, and helps clean the environment by storing carbon and breaking down pollutants.

There is some interesting research to suggest that in nature, mycelium acts as a conduit for information on potential threats to ecosystems and can transfer nutrients such as nitrogen and carbon between plants. 

If you are interested, you might like to Google "The Wood Wide Web" for some further information.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects