Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to grow Japanese Maple in pots?

weirdwhiskers
Finding My Feet

How to grow Japanese Maple in pots?

I bought a dormant Japanese Maple tubestock. This will be grown in a pot in my balcony. Do I transfer the tubestock to a large pot now, or do I start with a smaller pot? What size? There seems to be various recommendations online, many recommending going straight to a >30cm pot even for younger plants, however I'm assuming these advices are for bigger plants and not somthing as small as a tubestock.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Acer Palmatum in pots

Hi @weirdwhiskers,

I'd recommend starting with a smaller pot, around 15-20 cm in diameter. This size allows the roots to establish more easily and reduces the risk of overwatering. As the tree grows, you can gradually move it to larger pots, eventually reaching 35-40 cm.

Prepare the pot using a well-draining, premium potting mix. After planting, water thoroughly and place the pot in partial shade. Make sure the soil never entirely dries out, but don't overwater. When the weather warms up, you can apply a slow-release fertiliser.

Whilst the plant is establishing, place it in a protected area that receives partial shade.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to grow Japanese Maple in pots?

Hi @weirdwhiskers,

Just thought I'd add to Mitch's reply that you might find the guide How to pot a plant by experienced member @Noelle very helpful.

In the guide Noelle states: "The pot should comfortably hold the plant, with about 3-4cm clearance between the existing root ball and the sides. Don’t think that by choosing a pot several sizes larger you will be doing the plant a favour - you won't! Excess potting mix beyond the roots may turn sour, becoming smelly and also possibly damaging developing root tips."

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects