Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Backyard makeover with garden bed and firepit

frediynewbie
Building a Reputation

Backyard makeover with garden bed and firepit

After building our deck last year, it took me another year to finally start and finish our backyard. We have a small space available so I had to utilise every corner to have a fire pit area and a vegetable garden area as well. 

BEFORE

This is our backyard right after we moved in 2 years ago.

Before.jpg

Even though we only have a small space, still lots of preparation and planning took place and it took me around 2 months to finish.

Backyard during.jpg

AFTER

I've built garden beds for the olive trees and a raised garden bed for my vegetables. I also added a plastic greenhouse I've bought from Bunnings to increase the space that I can use for my plants and vegetables. All dwarf trees (lime, lemon, mandarin, cumquat) are planted in pots to avoid any issues with our fence and to maintain their sizes. I have also laid instant turf (Tiftuf hybrid bermuda)

backyard 6.jpg

backyard 5.jpg

As for the firepit area, I've built the benches (using treated timber and merbau deck boards). I've built a small 2 tier bench with timber posts for my festoon lights. I added solar lights and plants as well to make the space cozy. 

backyard 7.jpg

backyard 1.jpgbackyard 2.jpgbackyard 3.jpgbackyard 4.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Backyard makeover with vegetable garden bed and fire pit

What an incredible transformation @frediynewbie! You’ve really made the most of the space with the perfect balance between a functional vegetable garden and a cosy fire pit area. The attention to detail with the raised beds and the thoughtful use of potted trees is impressive. The fire pit and bench seating look so inviting, especially with the added lighting and greenery. It’s such a welcoming space now, and your hard work has really paid off.

Well done, and many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Vaz
Just Starting Out

Re: Backyard makeover with garden bed and firepit

What an awesome project @frediynewbie. I am so inspired. Can i ask how did you lay drainage as i am thinking of laying turf and doing a firepit area 

frediynewbie
Building a Reputation

Re: Backyard makeover with garden bed and firepit

Thanks @Vaz!

Before I started all the backyard works, I dug the ground along the fence where the raised garden bed is and through the closest storm water drain, I put in scoria and socked agi pipe then cover with scoria again on top. I made sure that the level is sloping down towards the drain. this is one of the reason why I didn't plant my dwarf trees directly to the ground. 

IMG_6403.jpg IMG_6401.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects