Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to use for the top of a workshop bench?

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

What to use for the top of a workshop bench?

G'day Everyone, hope this finds you and yours all well.

I am making a workshop bench which will be made from 70mm x 35mm pine that is all second hand being collected from the roadside out side factories and the like. Yes, another seagull!

I'be made benches before but because this bench will be stored outside in the weather due to a lack of room, what recommendatins can you give me for the top of the bench. I want it to be durable and hold its shape as it will be my "go to" bench for all sorts of projects. BTW, it will be a mobile bench with castors.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chris

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Workshop Bench

Hi @BigFella1956 

Thanks for sharing your question about building a workshop bench. I propose using 140 x 19mm 5.7m SpecRite Merbau Joined Set Length Pre-Oiled Decking over the entire workbench frame with a gap of 3mm for each panel to deal with timber expansion. The advantages are it can withstand prolonged exposure to the weather, it has visual cues that tell you when it's time to recoat the surface. Plus, should one section be severely damaged it can be replaced with new panels. Please let me know if this idea will work for you.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please ok.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: What to use for the top of a workshop bench?

Hi @BigFella1956 

What @EricL has already recommended as a bench top is ideal. 

When seagulling timber, you will need to find treated pine for the frame as normal pine will very quickly deteriorate being unsuitable for exterior exposure. Along that same thought, choosing casters with galvanised frames over steel will avoid corrosion issues. 

Look forward to seeing the finished project

Nailbag

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @BigFella1956 

My outdoor bench from 2009 is a steel frame with treated sleepers and a Specrite cover - to prevent losing small screws, washers, nuts, etc, 'between the cracks' - as the sleepers tend to shrink with age.

Completely exposed to the elements. I believe if the Specrite lasts 4 years @ $70 - I'm doing well.

I've also managed to pick up a Soccer Club's stainless steel food preparation tops that I'm going to try and convert to outside benches.

Cheers.

20241003_071200.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @BigFella1956 

Benches are always handy :smile: I built an outside one tho it is undercover and used hardwood timber decking for it.

Outside bench is the project.

I like the solidness of the bench and the durability of the hardwood.

Since you are making your bench from second hand bits :smile: Id suggest to start collecting the hardwood Chep styled pallets. Use the framing pieces for your top of the bench. Heavy yes but will give it a solid working feel. 

As with Castors I would suggest to go with larger then smaller and have them lockable so your bench wont drift when using it. 

Outside timber lounge with wheels are the type of castors I used. 

Both Bench and lounge are going strong since January, its undercover but open. The bench I fastened the floorboards with decking screws but my tolerance for the post to the edge of the bench was a little too close and the three boards on teh end of the right hand side have "sheared" the screws. I should have had more space between post and bench :smile:

A Fellow Seagull :smile:

Dave

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

Re: Workshop Bench

G'day @EricL, thank you for the feedback and yes, the SpecRite Merbau will work. Regards, Chris

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

G'day @Nailbag, good tips about the pine being treated and the gal castors. Makes a lot of sense. Thank you. Regards, Chris

BigFella1956
Building a Reputation

G'day @Dave-1, Had a look at both photos - well done. The more I think about it, hardwood is probably the best way to go - far more durable. As for the castors, yes, bigger is better and lockable is a must. Thanks very much for your feedback. Regards, Chris

It’s all teamwork mate 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects