Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What barrier or fence to stop rats mice getting into car?

Cranswick
Cultivating a Following

What barrier or fence to stop rats mice getting into car?

Hi l have an outdoor shed l park my car in,l have had a problem of rats or mice getting in, l dont like using poison or traps becasue l have cats . l am thinking of building a fence or barrier around the car with a gate to stop rats and mice getting into my car, l was thinking of a fence barrier about waist high, what would be the best materials to use that so that rats would not be able to climb over it. l was thinking of using plywood sheets for the fence and sticking a roll of aluminium flashing along the lenght of the fence so they cannot climb it, see photo . is that a good idea or is there a better way

Cranswick_0-1721195741028.png

Cranswick
Cultivating a Following

Re: What barrier or fence to stop rats mice getting into car?

How high do you think l should build my fence

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @Cranswick 

MMmmm Id possibly make it a little higher so you can do away with the flashing (save some $$$) Something height wise that looks appealing is how I would approach the height, nothing to low to be tripable and taking into consideration of doors opening.

Dave

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Cranswick,

Somewhere around 600mm high would be ideal.

I like the idea of the aluminium flashing as it would prevent the critters from getting any grip on the timber, but it might end up being expensive since you'd need to have at least 2 layers.

Attaching the Brutus 50 x 75mm x 3.0m Jazz Building Moulding Flashing to the top of the barrier would be a good way to stop them climbing over the top and is my choice for a solution.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Cranswick
Cultivating a Following

Hi l was thinking as an alternative to what we discussed to use masonite boards 120cm tall, on one side of masonite boards have a very smooth slippery surface that would seem to be to be impossible for rats to climb 2440 x 1220mm 4.8mm Masonite Standard - Bunnings Australia

My plan would be just to use the masonite boards without the aluminum flasing and 45 degree top . Would it be impossible for rats to climb a vertical 120cm tall masonite board on the smooth side 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @Cranswick 

The main hesitation I have of using masonite boards would eb the weather and in particular water getting to them, they will perish pretty fast if that happens. As to the height, unless they are Olympic mice id say no :smile: but any corner/join will be rough enough potentially for the mice/rats to climb. Thats why I am thinking that angled edge of some kind.

Dave

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Cranswick,

My thoughts are similar to @Dave-1's.

Masonite is not weather resistant, so if it is exposed to rain, you will run into some issues. If the masonite is kept dry, it should be ok though.

I can't say with 100% certainty that they couldn't climb Masonite, but it is very slick and would certainly be difficult. It would likely be a case of trial and error if you were to go ahead with it.

Let me know what you think and if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects