Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I rent or buy a dehumidifier for mild water damage?

legopoint
Cultivating a Following

Should I rent or buy a dehumidifier for mild water damage?

Hi

Yesterday pressure limiter valve started leaking. I noticed it and shut down main supply.

Valve is inside laundry room. water was noticed when it started coming out of skirting on the other side of wall.

It was not a big leak but I think it has probably leaked 10-15 liters.

Is dehumidifier can help to reduce moisture?

Which moisture meter is reliable for detecting moisture behind wall?

If dehumidifier can prevent any mold growth then is https://www.bunnings.com.au/ausclimate-25l-medium-plus-dehumidifier_p0454886 good one?

I think instead of renting, buying should be better option as it can be used later as well for normal living.

Thanks

legopoint
Cultivating a Following

Re: Dehumidifier rent or buy for mild water damage

After reading a bit more about different type of dehumidifiers, I think https://www.bunnings.com.au/ausclimate-10l-desiccant-dehumidifier_p0454892 is better choice in ACT.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @legopoint,

Either of these dehumidifiers will help and if you intend to reuse them again and again, then buying will certainly be a good decision long term.

Another option to consider is hiring an air blower to help circulate the air and dry out the water damage before mould has the chance to grow.

You can also use an Ozito 6 -60% 0.2 -2.9% Digital Moisture Meter ODMM-P11 to probe the location of the water damage to follow along as the moisture level subsides and determine when you are happy with the reduction in moisture.

As you've indicated that it was a relatively small leak, a combination of these measures will certainly help to reduce any risk of mould growth.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

legopoint
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @JacobZ 

I have purchased desiccant dehumidifier and  https://www.bunnings.com.au/crommelin-moisture-meter_p0911078 

Lets see how it goes.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @legopoint,

Fabulous.

Let me know how you go and if you have any further questions.

Jacob

legopoint
Cultivating a Following

Studs and wall is dry but I see mould. Is there any way to treat/kill it?

Thanks

water-damage.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @legopoint 

I suggest using Intergrain 800g Ultraprep Mould Killer. It effectively kills and removes mould and is specially formulated for use on timber, plus it's biodegradable. Please note that this product is a concentrate and needs to be diluted in water.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when using this product. Please make sure to follow the mixing directions and to take all the safety precautions printed at the back of the container.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
legopoint
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @EricL 

Above product is for external timber but the mould is on timber inside the wall.
In "You might also like", https://www.bunnings.com.au/concrobium-946ml-mould-cleaner_p4460772  was listed which looked promising from the description but it has mixed reviews.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Should I rent or buy a dehumidifier for mild water damage?

Hi @legopoint,

Using Selleys 750ml Rapid Mould Killer Remover would be an option. The application steps don't mention timber, but as long as it contacts the mould, it will be effective. Alternatively, you could mix up a solution of one part bleach and two parts water. Spritz the areas with the solution, and it will kill the mould spores.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
legopoint
Cultivating a Following

Re: Should I rent or buy a dehumidifier for mild water damage?

Thanks @MitchellMc 

I'll try bleach idea first.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects