Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop water seeping through garage wall?

zhenbin313
Just Starting Out

How to stop water seeping through garage wall?

hi, i've found out that water is seeping through my garage wall and I think some maintenance work is required to be done so that it does not cause a big problem down the road.

there are 2 big questions I need help of.

1) Could anyone provide some details on how this dividing fence is installed? Is this hard to be removed for access purposes?

2) what kind of maintenance work is recommended for my garage wall once access is allowed. My mind is hard-plaster the wall to patch gap opening and put on water-repellent paint over it?

I am looking forward to any suggestions.

Thank you.101A-6.png101A-7.png101A -1.jpg101A-4.jpg101A-2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop water seeping through garage wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @zhenbin313. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about water penetration.

How much water comes through the wall, is it just becoming damp?

The fence could be removed, but it will require a decent amount of work. Given that your home appears to be newish, I suspect the fence is fibre cement. If this is an old fence that has been left in place, there is a possibility that it is asbestos, as that was a commonly used profile. If the fence was built after 1990, then it wouldn't be asbestos.

The areas you've circled in the image appear not to have had mortar applied correctly rather than a deterioration issue. They can be filled with mortar that's been coloured with an oxide or mortar gap filler.

You could paint the wall, but first, I'd have a professional check to see whether there is a drainage issue on the roof that's allowing water to penetrate the top of the wall. There might be a leak allowing water to enter rather than water penetration from the face of the wall.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects