Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace roof tiles?

zillah
Cultivating a Following

How to replace roof tiles?

Hi All

At home I have got two chopped roof tiles located at the second and third row from the ridge.

I replaced the one in the third row ,,,,,,,,can I replace the second raw ? or it will affect the ridge ?

ThxIMG_4542.jpgIMG_4543.jpgIMG_4544.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Roof tile replace a second raw from the ridge

Hi @zillah,

I'll just start by saying you've done a brilliant job with the replacement tile on the third row. Congratulations on a job well done.

You would need to lift the tile in the top row to slide the new tile into place. This would likely damage the pointing, but this can fairly easily be reinstated. 

I'd suggest just trying it out and seeing how you go. If the pointing is flexible enough to allow you the space to slot a new tile in, then happy days, but if the pointing gets damaged, it will require a bucket of Dunlop Terracotta Tile Pointing and a Pointing Trowel. Clean out any loose material with the trowel and a brush and then reinstate the pointing following the example present in your photos as reference.

Please remember to take the necessary precautions when working on a roof. Have someone foot the ladder for you, wear appropriate footwear and be cautious with your steps. Don't take any unnecessary risks that could put yourself in danger.

Allow me to tag some of our knowledgeable members to see if they have any advice, @Dave-1, @TedBear, @Noyade.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

zillah
Cultivating a Following

Thx Jacob for the informative details we will wait for other members feedbacks as you suggested

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @zillah 

Having replaced many roof tiles in my time, I agree with@JacobZ as to how to go about it.

Alternatively, do you even need to replace it? The damaged piece appears to be over the gully & if so, it may not suffer from any leaks. 

If you have the piece that is missing (they are usually found in the gully or the gutter below) I would refit it with the aid of some outdoor grade sealant.

zillah
Cultivating a Following

Thx TedBear for your help

>>it may not suffer from any leaks<<

Yes it is not suffering from any leak.

>>If you have the piece that is missing<<

I will search for it.

>> I would refit it with the aid of some outdoor grade sealant.<<

I have got that

Regards

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @zillah 

Chances are the broken piece is sitting in the lower gutter. If not that profile tile is very common and easily sourced. Failing either, then filling the gaps with this product will provide a weatherproof seal. It can be used standalone or to fix the broken pice with.

Regards, Nailbag

zillah
Cultivating a Following

Thx Nailbag

>>Chances are the broken piece is sitting in the lower gutter.<<

Couldn't find it

>>that profile tile is very common and easily sourced.<<

I have spare tiles for my roof

>>then filling the gaps with this product will provide a weatherproof seal. It can be used standalone or to fix the broken piece with.<<

My case would be standalone as I couldn't find missing piece

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @zillah 

:smile: Well another one to add to the list, I agree with the rest of the crew @JacobZ , @TedBear and @Nailbag 

I would have a look around for the broken bit as I dont like disturbing something that is working atm. If you cant find it and replace instead tehn @JacobZ describes it well.

Dave

zillah
Cultivating a Following

Thx @Dave-1 

>>If you cant find it and replace instead tehn @JacobZ describes it well.<<

Are you saying if I can't find the broken piece of the tile,,,, then replace the whole tile ? or you meant something else ?

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @zillah 

Nooooo I was just pointing out that if you wanted to replace it due to "look and feel" of your roof skyline (not that you can ususally see it) Then @JacobZ instructions on how to are good.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects