Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renovate an existing shed into a studio?

Johan_Mitchell
Just Starting Out

How to renovate an existing shed into a studio?

Hi everyone, I'm Johan.

I'm very new to this space and was hoping to get some guidance please.

I have a 6 x 4.9 shed which I'd like to convert into a studio.

The steel structure seems ok but very rusty. The roof has 4 trust and 8 wood panels. It is currently not insulated but has electricity.

One wall is concrete blocks and the floor is concrete.

On the width - both sides have big doors to accommodate car or boat. I think this can maybe be converted to sliding doors. 

On the length - there are 2 windows and 1 door.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to renovate an existing shed into a studio?

Hello @Johan_Mitchell 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about converting your shed to a studio.

In order for our members to have a better idea of the condition of the shed, would it be possible for you to post a few photos of both the inside and outside of the shed? We can then make recommendations on what you can possibly do to turn it into a studio.

One of the first things I suggest doing is to determine if the rust on the structure is severe. Are any of the rust spots compromising the structure of the shed? Are the shed panels rusted as well and will they still provide adequate protection from the weather? I also suggest checking the condition of the roof and see if that part is rusting as well. It would be a shame to put all that work into the shed only to find out that the rust will cause leaks in the wall and roof. 

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - Shed converted to sewing studio with French doors by @jjebw. This particular project sounds very similar to what you want to achieve with your shed. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects