Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a toolshed roof with spray paint?

Taz2
Just Starting Out

How to paint a toolshed roof with spray paint?

Hi I have exposed wooden beams in our tool shed and I’m turning it into a business. I would like to spray paint it white. I have turned it with water so far to get dirt and grime off. 
can you please tell me what I would need please, type of paint and how much please. Also I don’t have any painting tools could you please l let me know what I need? 

IMG_4681.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting a toolshed roof spray paint

Hi @Taz2,

Thank you for your question about painting the exposed wooden beams in your toolshed.

The majority of the work for painting projects comes before painting and giving the beams a good pressure clean is a great first step. 

Now that they are clean, I'd suggest giving them a good sand with a random orbital sander with some 120-grit sandpaper. Once sanded, brush them down with a soft bristled brush to remove any sawdust.

In terms of painting tools, there are two main options, paint sprayers and a combination of paint rollers and brushes. If you were to use a paint sprayer, you would need to mask off any areas you do not wish to paint using masking tape and drop sheets to prevent overspray from getting onto unwanted surfaces. If you were to use rollers and brushes, you would still need to mask off some sections to get nice clean lines and protect the floor, but you wouldn't need to quite be as diligent.

In terms of paint to use, as it looks well enclosed, but not truly indoors, I'd suggest using Dulux Weathershield Exterior Paint, just make sure to wear a mask and leave as many doors open as possible so the fumes can dissipate. 

To calculate how much paint you need, you'll need to work out the surface area you are looking to paint. Dulux Weathershield will cover approximately 16sqm with 1 coat of paint. It is recommended to use 3 coats on bare surfaces so each litre of paint will cover approximately 5.33 sqm of area with 3 coats of paint.

You might like to have a look through our How To Paint - Painting Inspiration & Tips for a wealth of information to help you achieve the best results possible.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects