Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a kayak in the garage?

Jamie5
Finding My Feet

How to hang a kayak in the garage?

Jamie5_0-1725787168916.jpeg

I recently bought these kayak wall hangers to hang my 25kg Kayak in my garage. My garage has 2 walls, a brick wall and a normal drywall. Looking for suggestions for the best/safest place to install the wall hangers. I would love to hang them on my brick wall, however, do not have a hammer drill. What precautions will I need to take, or do you have any tips to hang them on my dry wall? Cheers!

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: Hanging a Kayak

Hi @Jamie5 

Even though there are fasteners that can hold static weight (11kgs each/fixing point) to the load you require, they will come loose in the process of taking the Kayak on and off over time. So ideally you would want to mount the brackets on to the timber studs which make up the frame behind the plasterboard wall. 

Studs are either 35mm or 45mm thick spaced approximately 450mm to each centres. Spacings can often vary wider on modern garage walls.

Locating studs can be a bit hit and miss without a stud finder so it's a matter of knocking on the wall until you hear/feel a more solid sound. I then hammer a thin nail to see if it strikes wood or goes straight in. If it goes straight in, at least it's a tiny hole to fill. You will need to drill pilot holes to the depth of the supplied fixing screws. It will be tough going driving the screws to full depth by hand, so, a #2 Phillips head fitted to your drill/driver and select low range on the gearbox if fitted as this will make the job a lot easier. If you don't have a gearbox drill, it might be too much load, which could damage its motor.

Hope this helps.

Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 6.29.35 AM.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to hang a kayak in the garage?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jamie5. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about hanging brackets.

I'd agree with @Nailbag's answer that they need to be installed onto studs. Here's a helpful guide: How to use a stud finder.

When installed onto solid timber, you won't have to worry about them working themselves free. Installing into the drywall is fraught with issues, and I wouldn't recommend it for your application.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I got myself a stud finder & it is now hanging up in the garage! 

Really appreciate your help :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jamie5 

I'm glad you got your kayak hangers installed. Can I please ask for a photo of your project. I'm sure our members would be keen to see what it looks like.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Thats awesome to hear @Jamie5 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects