Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix AEG 18V brushless circular saw?

Greggles
Just Starting Out

How to fix AEG 18V brushless circular saw?

I have been given an almost new AEG (used once) brushless saw that the motor will not engage. I have dismantled it and it is absolutely NEW clean. It does a short whistle when I pull the trigger. my volt meter indicates power is going to the motor. Can you give me an idea of the problem.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to fix AEG 18V brushless circular saw?

Sorry, @Greggles, can't help you there.

But a question to the informed.

I was told by a Bunnings staff member that brushless machines are "like the stars - everything has to be in perfect alignment - before they work."

This was after I had returned a brand new brushless Bosch impact driver.

Is this really the case?

I had no problems with the replacement.

Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Greggles 

The whistle you hear are the power transistors powering up and make this same sound just prior to a working motor. In other words no indication of fault.

If the saw is a "Fusion" model then all the control electronics are built within the motor itself. Power from the battery connects to the motor PCB. Speed and direction control loom connects to the trigger switch and back to the control board. Being brushless, it's unlikely to be the switch which was common with brushed motors. So, it's highly likely it's the motor itself. 

It is possible with fusion motors and some force batteries not to talk to each other. So try another battery just in case that fixes it. I had a fusion angle grinder that didn't play well with one of my 6Ahr batteries but no problem with any other. So I had to mark it to avoid using it again. I also have a fusion blower that shows the connected charged 9ahr battery as being flat so it won't fire up. Pulling it out and back in again fixes it, but this doesn't happen with my other batteries.

The only other solution is send it for a quote on repair. Without a receipt you won't get it repaired for free under there 3yr warranty.

Nailbag

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: AEG 18V brushless circular saw, motor won't engage

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Greggles. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about an AEG circular saw.

I can't assist with troubleshooting internal components, but I can suggest that you take the machine to an authorized service centre for assistance. 

If this saw was purchased through Bunnings, is still in warranty and you have the proof of purchase, we'd happily send it away to AEG for you to be looked at.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade 

I've never heard of that myself. In my experience, brushless machinery is no less likely to work than brushed tools. I've also seen plenty of brushed tools that didn't work from new, too.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Yeah, I have no idea why he said that @MitchellMc.

Nevertheless, based on my needs - that was the last battery tool I will ever purchase.

Yours in 240V.

Noyade.

Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Noyade Don't be disheartened by one bad experience and the unfortunate misinformation re brushless tools. Brushless motors have been around decades before being introduced into power tools. They deliver the most efficient power to weight output and far more reliable than brushless motors AC or DC. 9/10 burnt out motors are common with brushed motors and are actually the switches that fail. The motors fail generally when they are constantly stalled. For workshop use AC still have their place, But for site to site like I am every day cordless tools in particular brushless is the way to go. Other than my pressure washer (which is a brushless induction) I don't own a single corded tool.

As @MitchellMc mentioned, you can get a dud anything straight out of the box regardless of brand or price point. Bosch make excellent electronically controlled power tools.

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects