Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Could I use pavers and concrete as a shed base?

Bonniebegins
Just Starting Out

Could I use pavers and concrete as a shed base?

Hi All, I am tossing up what base to use for my garden shed, it is a 3x1.5 base shed so not large and pouring a concrete slab is quite expensive. I was looking at my options to use pavers and some other discussions in here around that. 

i am wondering is there has ever been a combination? maybe concrete underneath pavers or under a frame around pavers to increase security of the paved floor? 

Does anyone have any tips or thoughts on this?

thanks,

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garden shed base - paving combo

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Bonniebegins. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about shed bases.

It's great that you're thinking about the base for your garden shed, and you're right to weigh up different options. Before proceeding, it’s essential to check the manufacturer's recommendations for the shed’s base. Most sheds, including those available from Bunnings, typically require either a timber base or a poured concrete slab. The key factor is ensuring the shed is securely anchored to an immovable surface, especially in areas prone to high winds, where the shed could be at risk of being blown away if not properly fixed down. Using the correct base is also important for water tightness and to maintain your warranty.

While pavers may seem like a cost-effective alternative, they aren't generally recommended for shed bases on their own. Even if you anchor into the pavers, there's still a risk that they could be picked up or shifted, especially if they aren't firmly set on a stable foundation like a concrete slab. This makes them less secure than a slab or timber base.

If you're looking to increase the security of a paved base, you could consider a hybrid approach, such as setting pavers into a concrete or mortar bed. This would give you the aesthetic of pavers with the added stability of a solid foundation. Alternatively, a timber base with pavers around the perimeter could also work, though you'll want to ensure the shed itself is properly anchored to the timber or a more solid surface beneath it.

Ultimately, ensuring the shed is securely anchored is the priority, so a solid and durable base is essential. If concrete is too costly, a treated timber base is a solid alternative that still allows for secure anchoring while being more affordable than a full slab.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects