Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to epoxy garage floor?

xircomnz
Just Starting Out

How to epoxy garage floor?

Hey there, I’m looking to epoxy my garage floor, now I was wondering can I clean and etch the floor one weekend and then the follow weekend give it a quick clean allow to dry again the put the epoxy down ? 
the weather this week at home is looking cool and abit wet, but I’d like to get the process started with a good clean and was thinking of doing the etching as well. 
Any advice would be much appreciated. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: epoxy garage floor

Hi @xircomnz,

Thank you for your question about applying epoxy to your garage floor.

With epoxy products such as the Dy-Mark Epoxy Coat Garage Floor Kit, it's always best to follow the manufacturer's instructions closely to ensure the best results.

For example, the Dy-Mark kit recommends etching, and then waiting 72 hours for the concrete to fully dry before applying the epoxy.

If you want to get the best results, it would be best to clean the concrete and do any crack filling this weekend, etch the concrete on Wednesday and then apply the epoxy coat next weekend. It's important that between etching and applying the epoxy, no contaminants are introduced to the concrete, whether they come from a car, or your feet.

You might like to check out How To Epoxy A Garage Floor for some further guidance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects