Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a bush cabin?

bianca76
Just Starting Out

How to build a bush cabin?

Hi guys, my name is Bianca and I’m going to start to build a very small shed upon some land. I’ve never done this before and going slowly .  I’m starting in stages and am building a 4 metre long x 3 metre wide dwelling . Can someone please tell me how many

1) timber beams and what sizes / types o need to build the box and joists for the floor also what size posts to get to lift it just off the ground? The site is level. 
2 ) How many Concrete pads I need to buy for a Shed this size? I’m not sure of how far I need to span them apart? 

3) what type of ply I need to buy and how many sheets to fit this shed? 

My father is nearly 80 so I can’t go to him any more and bother him but as a female I’m very unsure but would like to build this myself! Thanks in advance !! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a bush cabin?

Hello @bianca76 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about building a bush cabin.

Before you begin your project, I propose looking at your local council's rules and regulations regarding building a bush cabin. I suspect that there are height and size restrictions that must be adhered to when planning a cabin. I then recommend engaging the services of a draftsperson, you can give them the specifications you are wanting, and they will draw a plan that includes the concrete base and timber sizes to be used for framing.       

Your local draftsperson will be familiar with the rules and regulations of the local council and will design your cabin plan to code. In this manner should your cabin require a permit you'll have a plan that's ready to go. I also suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to build a wooden shed? by @mikebarker. This is an excellent example of how involved building a timber structure can be.  

One other option I would like to propose is to look at the Stilla Timber 4.85m x 3.13m Oakley Studio. It's constructed of 42 x 35mm toxic free treated pine framing (H3-LOSP Treatment) 4mm hardwood ply bracing, Sarking, 18mm thick Canadian Western Red Cedar VJ cladding with a Colorbond steel roof. The Oakley 16×10 is supplied in an easy to assemble kit with pre-made panels. The Studio can be sited on a concrete slab (concrete slab plans available) or we have the heavy-duty floor option available.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to build a bush cabin?

Good Evening @bianca76 

Thats an interesting project, When you say shed do you mean like a shed for tools ect or one to live in as in a dwelling? They are massivly differant.

@EricL recomendations are spot on. Definently worth looking into especially if you are intending on living in it.

Next question, What is the lay of the land, are you facing the shed/dwelling in a particular way? Would it be possible for a sketch of what you have in mind plus a photo of the area? These will help with ideas and also help you solidify what can be done. I always sketch everything up as the more detail I sketch the more it shows that "something" is missing and then I start figuring out how to get the bit done in my head.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects