Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Garage roof and rain gutter issue

roshanrn
Getting Established

Garage roof and rain gutter issue

Hi everyone,

I have this issue at the garage area. The roof sheets are old and deteriorating. They are curved and rain water stagnates in the middle. Due to the surface tension, water seeps into crevices and floods the garage when there are heavy rains. See the attached pictures 

To make matters worse, the rain gutter is poorly renovated and it does not seem to be at an angle to drain the water. And my drain pipe is also broken. 

The walls are plasterboard.

What are the options that are available to me to get this all working properly 

I got a quote for $9k which I thought was very expensive! 

1000073612.jpg

1000073615.jpg

1000073617.jpg

  

1000073613.jpg

1000073618.jpg

 Thanks!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garage roof and rain gutter issue

Hi @roshanrn,

Thank you for your question about water issues with your garage roof.

Unfortunately, I can see a few issues with this roof that may mean a new roof is going to be necessary. 

Firstly, the bowing in the roof sheets makes me think that there might be an issue with the roof framing. If the roof battens were all in line, the sheet would not bow in this fashion. It's likely that the roof battens will need to be replaced in order to fix the bowing.

Secondly, the pitch of the roof does not appear adequate for the water to effectively run off. In metal roofs, the ideal pitch is between 14.5 and 45 degrees. In simple terms, to achieve a 14.5-degree pitch, for every 12 meters of horizontal run, the roof rises 3 meters.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like you're going to need a roofer to fix this issue for you. They will be able to remove the old roof and install a new one that will ensure adequate runoff and weatherproofing for the structure beneath.

Trade pricing is incredibly variable with many things needed to be taken into account. I am not a roofer, but $9k does not sound excessive for this kind of job. I would however suggest attaining a few quotes so you can get an informed decision on pricing

You might like to use a service such as HiPages or True Local to find a some suitably qualified roofers in your area to quote.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects