Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I use a Bosch charger upside down?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Can I use a Bosch charger upside down?

Afternoon.

Charger GAL 1880 CV

I purchased a Bosch 18V Combo drill/driver back in August 2020 from Bunnings - on clearance.

The production date is stamped May 2018.

Lately I've noticed the charger when in operation screams like a banshee in a pulsing kinda way.

I've tracked this down to the induction fan module.

I just now had a rather unproductive call to Bosch.

But then I discovered with the charger inverted (see below) - the noise disappears and it hums like a kitten.

Question = any foreseeable problems in continuing doing this?

Cheers.

20240731_102003.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: Can I use a Bosch charger upside down?

Afternoon @Noyade 

Yeah nah is the answer :smile: 

Must admit I would probarly want to do it myself as well. But being away from a unit as it charges a battery and you know there is an issue with that inverter.... squealing.... thats where my "Nah" comes in lol

Its not worth the risk to your place. (even as I am wondering if its a sealed unit, ahhh man. Things should be servicable)

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Noyade 

In the interest of health and safety, please do not use the charger upside down. I recommend visiting your local electrical repair shop and having the fan replaced. As Dave said it's not worth the risk.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Cheers gents.

"I recommend visiting your local electrical repair shop"

Hi @EricL  - according to Bosch, that's 250 km away....

Overall a bad buy. The drill died and was replaced. One battery died.

Now the charger is dying. 😏

Gonna look at Ozito this time.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade 

Have a peek at these packages, they are the latest best offer at the store Ryobi 18V ONE+ Home Essentials Kit or Ryobi 18V ONE+ 4-Piece Kit R18X4C1422B. But Ozito have their own offer which is the Ozito PXC 18V Cordless 5 Piece Kit PX5PAK-650

Eric

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @Noyade 

Not a good run and it colours a brand for sure 😕 

However when you mnetioned Ozito :laugh: Woot! It comes charging to the rescue :smile: Can you tell I am a fan of them?

When I built my deck with hardwood I used a makita powered drill and a green ozito torque drill.... It powered through it all without issues (drill borrowed from work even :surprised: )

Bought my own and it eventually failed (battery was dead) and when i went to replace I found out that they had changed their range. Guarenteed 5 years of model, has a warranty and seriously I have not found any issue with them. But I needed to buy the new model, best step I did.

I bought a battery drill, battery torque driver, and it came with a charger and two batteries.

I bought a baby chainsaw pruner and over the past month its been hammered and still goes strong. It also came with an extra battery and a charge station. 

Only issue I have is where do I mount the chargers (that I can keep an eye on them) and where to store all those batteries lol)

It comes down to how often you will use an item verse cost of item. I think of it as a seasaw.

Go Ozito :smile:

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

"Only issue I have is where do I mount the chargers (that I can keep an eye on them) and where to store all those batteries lol". Looks like you've got a new project on the horizon @Dave-1: How to build a drill charging station.

Mitchell

Hi Dave @Dave-1 

Yes, I have many Ozito products (all 240 volts though) and are very happy with them, but I'm not keen on going down the 'all battery' pathway, although I do strongly believe in a battery drill/driver. I'm not gonna ditch the Bosch just yet - you can buy replacement fans online.

Cheers.

@MitchellMc 

:laugh: hahahahah I was wondering who would suggest a stand of some kind. I should but knowing me I will line them up on the bench :laugh:

Btw thats a nice shelf for the drills!

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects