Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Shed conversion into a home pub

Poshrustic
Getting Established

Shed conversion into a home pub

Living in the Perth Hills, there's not any nearby pubs, so we made our own! It's taken us about 8 months to convert half of our shed.  We did all the work ourselves, except for the main partition wall frame, and the electrics.  I did all the woodwork, and my partner did the brickwork/tiling and metal installations, including fixing an old broken spiral staircase we salvaged from the local tip.  Naturally, we virtually lived at Bunnings during the transformation, especially as we're renovating the whole house too. 

Materials

Lots of Timber! Various sizes, some salvaged

Plasterboard, plywood (various)

Lots of black paint and floor paint and lots of stain

Rubberized adhesive, cement and cement dye (for grout)_

Reclaimed painted old metal roofing

Blackboard and Foam for dartboard area

Lighting

Wax

Fixings

Tools

Table Saw

Mitre Saw

Band Saw

Router

Various drills

Nail gun

Paint brushes and rollers

Steps

Step 1

Here's some before photos, including the partition wall frame that went up.  Apart from the electrics, this was the only things we got someone else to do.  We did clad the wall ourselves in plasterboard painted black for the back-drop to the bar.

Pub b4 1.JPEGPub b4 2.JPEGIMG_2393.JPEGPub Wall Install.JPEG

Step 2

Centre piece to the whole pub, is the bar.  I didn't really have a design, I made it up as i went along.  Trickiest part (apart from the size and weight of working with such heavy wood) was mitreing around the posts and the bar top was two-tiered and constructed using pocket hole joinery. I also made some under-bench shelving units for plenty of storage.  For the dartboard area right next to the bar, I re-purposed some panelling that came out of our study that we renovated.  

Start of Bar.JPEGBar Shelving.JPEGIMG_4842.JPEGIMG_2675.JPEGDart Board.jpg

Step 3

Opposite to the bar, was a mezzanine area where firstly I changed the ugly steel girders and white board, to make it look the ceiling was made from wood planks. I did this by firstly painting the steel girders black, and then ripping up some 6mm plywood into planks and staining them, and nail gunning them into position.  Was very pleased with the effect.

Before PhotoBefore PhotoCeiling Plywood.JPEGFinish CeilingFinish Ceiling

Step 4

Next was the walls to this area under the mezzanine which would be the pool table area, with a salvaged spiral staircase up to the mezzanine, a barrel table seating area and a kitchenette.

We created different wall textures, one of wood panelling.  One of wood panels with rusty metal inserts, and a feature brick-tiled wall for the kitchenette block.

IMG_2467.JPEGIMG_2495.JPEGIMG_2689.JPEGIMG_4832.JPEGTimber Cladding.JPEGIMG_4823.JPEGIMG_4824.JPEGIMG_4836.JPEGIMG_4846.JPEG

Step 5

Some photos of the finished pub from different angles..  As you can see, we've fitted in a sofa seated area where there's also a TV on the wall for watching soccer match and playing music videos, a pool table area and a dartboard area as well as a huge bar. 

IMG_4819.JPEGIMG_4825.JPEGIMG_4827.JPEGIMG_4835.JPEGIMG_4824.JPEGIMG_4846.JPEGIMG_4839.JPEGIMG_4836.JPEGIMG_4832.JPEG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Shed conversion into a home pub

Wow, what a fun space @Poshrustic. I'm sure you'll enjoy countless happy times with friends and family in your very own pub.  

Perhaps you could build your own arcade games cabinet next? Or perhaps a pinball table?

Many thanks for sharing your inspiring project with the community. Look out for plenty of questions from other members to help them build their own.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Poshrustic
Getting Established

Re: Shed conversion into a home pub

Thank you Jason,

Yes, it was a lot of fun coming up with the ideas.  I didn't really have a master plan, but it came together as we went along. It's a great space to spend fun times with family and friends...and if there's nothing on the telly...we can go in there and have a game of darts or pool any night of the week. 

And yes...would love to take up your suggestion and make some more game-projects for the pub, but alas, I think we've run out of room. 😃

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects