Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where to place a shower rail?

luigilovesbacon
Just Starting Out

Where to place a shower rail?

Hi all,

Looking to install a vertical shower rail in my shower - what's the best commonly placed locations (i.e. do I need to avoid any particular area, in case I clash into pipes)?

I'm not very experienced with this, but use a studfinder and looks like there's something on the vertical line in line with the taps - is that the timber behind in the wall (and therefore I should install it here) - or is it pipes, therefore I should avoid? 

Thanks!

bathroom1.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Where to place a shower rail?

Hello @luigilovesbacon 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about installing a shower rail.

If your stud finder can detect metal, then odds are those are the copper pipes in your wall, and they are best to be avoided. If you've detected a timber stud in the middle, then that would be the ideal spot to mount the shower rail. Generally speaking, the shower rail can be mounted through the tile and wet wall plaster. Since it is just the shower rail and not a hand hold, it does not need to be a weight bearing installation.    

But if you are unsure and do not wish to take chances, I recommend engaging the services of a professional handy person to mount your shower rail. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to use a stud finder.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good morning @luigilovesbacon 

From your descriotion it sounds like its a fair chance of pipes so would avoid the area vertically in line with the taps.

When you say "vertical shower rail" do you mean a rail that will help support a person as they move around the shower area?

hahahah I think I just understood, you are thinking of one of those vertical showers that can slide up and down the rail. Think I need a coffee!

Id still avoid that area as to the piping, but now id suggest to head towards a plumber install. just as a matter of caution. I havnt installed a bathroom as yet and dont know if there is a common routing of the pipes. There would be nothing worse then an easy-ish job turning into a pain if you hit the water pipe.

Do you have an internal wall behind those taps?

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @luigilovesbacon 

It's quite a task installing a vertical shower system. and unfortunately a stud-finder isn't going to be of any help in this situation as even the best models are not designed to penetrate the layers of Tile – Adhesive – Cement Sheet - Stud. The image below gives a rough guesstimate of what the internal frame may look like.

Besides the obvious concern of drilling in to plumbing pipe, its important those vertical shower rails are very securely fixed to the wall as they can easily make their way loose over time. It isn't a hard job to do, but does require experience.

To give you some idea:

• There are special (expensive) tile drilling bits that need to be used. Depending on how hard your tiles are, it may require more than one.
  • The hole spacing and the cover plates provided by bathroom fixtures are very small and so its very important the holes are made in exactly the right spot. It's important the right sized drill bit is used to match the fastener.
  • Don't lean heavily when drilling holes as it's important to anticipate the breakthrough through each layer so you push in to any pipes in a cavity.
  • You will need wood screws if you are lucky enough to strike timber and quality fasteners (usually supplied) if you don't.
  • When driving screws in to timber, there is the concern you make hit a pipe.
  • You need to use a bathroom silicone sealant on the holes you make and around the back of the fixture where it meets the wall to maintain a waterproof barrier.

If you have any doubts I would high recommend a licensed plumber to the install as they have all the special tools and experience to take all the worry out of the job.

I hope this helped.

Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 9.09.41 AM.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects