Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

When new fitting doesn't fit old tile holes

BelindaK
Finding My Feet

When new fitting doesn't fit old tile holes

Hi, I've new 600mm towel rails that require smaller spaced tile holes than the existing older and larger holes present. The backing plate will cover the old holes if I'm able to attach it quite close to the old holes. I'm unsure about whether to fill the old holes and then drill new ones in the position shown in the pic, or should I try to use one old hole, drill only one new one above and then seal other old hole and hope it isn't visible. My worry is how close can you drill tile holes before risking weakening the structure. New holes will be 5mm. The old ones are much larger. Many thanks for your advise.

20220916_150212.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: When new fitting doesn't fit old tile holes

Hello @BelindaK

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about installing your towel rail.

If you drill far enough away from the existing two holes in the tile it should be alright to mount your towel rail. Using one of the existing holes is always practical as you will only have to drill one extra hole. Can the mounting plate be mounted on just one single screw? If the towel rail itself prevents the mounting plate from twisting then a single hole would be perfect.

What are the odds that the holes at the other end of your old towel rail are in line with your new towel rail? If you're lucky then you might not have to drill at all. However, if only one side is useful, it's still better to use it, as it will still save you from having to drill an extra hole in your tile. I suggest covering the rest of the holes with grout.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much Eric for your great advice its much appreciated. Duh on me, of course the backing plate won't rotate on a central screw when fixed to the rail & opposite support, thank you for that. As it's one of many fittings, with the same problem, to be replaced for my aunt, as the tiles have a slight shading through them, would grout be the least visible on the filled holes do you think? I'm very much liking the thought of filling holes instead of drilling new ones.

20220916_150116.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @BelindaK

Colour matching is the tricky part, my eyes are not what they use to be, but if this house is from the 90s odds are it has a beige ivory colour to it. This of course is a wild guess, I suggest going over to the closest store in your area and getting a grout colour chart. You can then bring it home and try to get the closest match you can get to the existing tile your aunt has. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Thank you once again I shall go into my local Bunnings tomorrow and check that out as it is indeed in ivory/beige tones. I look forward to posting the results as these older wall fittings were so much larger than todays trends and trying to find suitable fittings has been a big problem. Thank you for helping so quickly.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let us know if you need any further assistance @BelindaK. We're here to help.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects