Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do with drain and hoses after bathtub removal?

mikeyo
Growing in Experience

What to do with drain and hoses after bathtub removal?

I've removed a bath tub and small wall in the spare bathroom. So far so good.

I'll soon need to turn my attention to the floor, but before that I have a couple of problems that first need solving.

1) What is the typical process with the existing bath drain pipe (pic below, shown unscrewed).

PXL_20240803_055708208.jpg

2) What to do about the hoses? You can see them at the back wall in this pic.
My thinking is that I fashion a step out of timber (the depth and height a 200 x 200mm tile should do) and spanning the width of that back wall, so the hoses are out of sight. Then cover it with tiles when I get to that phase.

PXL_20240803_055728990.jpg

Any suggestions are appreciated.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What to do with drain and hoses after bathtub removal

Hi @mikeyo,

Thank you for your questions about what to do with the drain and hoses after your bathtub was removed.

I suppose the course of action depends on what you plan to do with the area now that the bathtub is removed?

Are you planning on reusing the drain at all or taps at all? If so, do you plan to re-concrete the area? Or is it now all redundant pipework?

The typical way to deal with this pipework would be to have a plumber come in, reduce it back to under the soil/behind the wall sheeting and then cap it off. You'll then be able to pour your slab and re-tile the wall sheet.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mikeyo
Growing in Experience

No plans to reuse the taps or drain. Removing the bathtub is permanent, so yes this is redundant pipe-work. I'll talk to a plumber about concealing it.

What products would you recommend for re-concrete? I'm guessing it's a two stage process, some sort of regular concrete followed up with a levelling compound. 

Awaiting your advice.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That would be a method, @mikeyo. Reo-mesh and concrete to fill the void. Then if you're removing the other floor tiles a self-leveller over the entire floor.

Mitchell

mikeyo
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc - any particular concrete your recommend? Just some quick-set would be fine?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mikeyo 

If you have experience in using quick-setting concrete, then it will do fine. Just keep in mind that quick set has a limited amount of time for screeding and levelling. Otherwise, I suggest using ordinary Bastion 20kg Premix Concrete or similar. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects