Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is causing my leaking tap?

Keiarn
Finding My Feet

What is causing my leaking tap?

I have a leaking bathroom tap (leaks when tap is on) and have recently had all of the washers replaced. What else could it be ?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is causing my leaking tap?

Hi @Keiarn,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your tapware.

Is the leak coming from the tap spindle itself or near the top of the tap handle? This would possibly the only source of the leak as your washers have all been replaced. 

The probable cause of the leak is the inside of the spindle has worn out. So even with new washers or o rings it will continue to leak. 

In order to repair it, I suggest having a look at the Shaw & Mason Rough Brass Shallow Seat Basin Spindle. This is a typical replacement piece for basin taps. However, I recommend bringing your original spindle to the store to make sure you get right size.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric but I put on some plumbers tape and saved $35. All fixed

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Keiarn 

I'm glad you've managed to stop the leak. My only other recommendation is to keep an eye on it for the next few weeks and see if the repair holds. If any other issues arise, please don't hesitate to post a question.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects