Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What flooring for a bus bathroom?

Skyracer
Just Starting Out

What flooring for a bus bathroom?

I have gutted a bus and ready to start. 

What base flooring do I use?

I want to create a bathroom, is there sheets you can use that includes waterproofing for flooring?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bus bathroom

Hello @Skyracer 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your bus conversion project.

Generally, I would recommend using plywood, but before you start, I propose taking a moment and planning your makeover on paper. Are there any access doors or ports that you should not cover up on the bus floor? Are all the holes on the bus floor sealed? In regards to your bathroom there are sheets you can use to create a shower cubicle, but I believe this is one of the most critical sections of your build and must not be rushed as any mistakes here could cause a leak and ruin all that work you've done on your flooring.

By planning ahead you'll have an idea of the sequence of events and a very good idea of the materials that you'll be needing for your build.

Here is a link to ideas and inspiration: 10 caravan renovations

I suggest having a look at these guides:

Let me call on our experienced members @twocutekelpies, @Peggers, @FloTheCaravan and @applesauce for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
R4addZ
Getting Established

Re: Bus bathroom

Hi @Skyracer 

If you use Plywood, make sure it is Marine grade in the bathroom area. Alternatively you could use Blue Board.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/fibre-cement-2440-x-1200-x-7-5mm-2-93sqm-duratex-blueboard_p0710117

A search to confirm it's suitability returned this for the product above, "Is tough and durable. Is a waterproof wall cladding system."

If you are using Ceramic tiles, this will be ideal to adhere them to however with the vibration this will be subjected to, you may be better using the Blue Board as a base and buy a FiberGlass cubicle with Vinyl tiles for the floor and possibly the walls. It will also help reduce the weight and improve fuel economy.

Edited to add that you can get flexible tile adhesive and grout if you want the luxury of ceramics.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects